Lost At Sea, By Emma

All I heard was the gentle swishing of the waves crashing onto the side of the lifeboat I was on. The other survivors looked frightened and anxious. I carefully observed the three of them. There was a girl about my age, a teenage boy and an anxious mother of six. She was sobbing about how two of her children were probably drowning, fighting for life. My mind whirled back to what had happened five days ago.

I had been on a cruise with many other passengers. From what I heard, I could tell that our ship had suddenly crashed into unseen rocks. There was shouting and crying outside my cabin. I had jumped onto a lifeboat that could only hold four people, and we sailed out to sea, getting further and further away from the pleas of help from passengers still on the sinking wreckage, until all I heard was sniffing from the girl, helpless silence from the teenager and the sobs of despair from the woman.

Over the last few days, we had experienced many dangers. A storm had brewed up and we were tossed around on the tiny lifeboat, clinging desperately onto the sides to avoid getting thrown off. Although we came out drenched and tired, we were all still alive – but barely. Now I was waiting for some miracle to happen, but I had almost lost hope. Everyone else had dull, expressionless faces and had probably given up hope. The sun came out shining merrily but I didn’t want to see the light of day ever again.

I didn’t remember falling asleep, but I woke up to the drone of an approaching ship’s engine. What? I struggled to sit up, and I saw the other survivors standing up, shouting, waving, with new hope shining in their faces. I joined them and soon, the ship changed direction and started to head towards us. We shrieked and cheered as we realised we were finally going to be rescued! I realised how different the other survivors looked when they were all happily smiling. The pretty girl smiled and laughed as if a burden had been lifted from her back. The teenage boy smiled silently to himself. The mother had joyful tears streaming down her face. The ship reached us and we all skipped aboard, in spite of the fact that we were wet and tired. Everything had turned out just fine.

4 thoughts on “Lost At Sea, By Emma

1. Wow Emma,
    That was an amazing piece of descriptive writing you’ve created! I hope one day you become a famous author!

Well done๐Ÿ˜ƒ

2. Wow this is an absolutely amazing piece of writing Emma! You should be very proud of yourself and I am looking forward to reading your story with Evelyn once it’s finished. ๐Ÿ˜€