World’s Greatest Shave

Before and After - photo by my mum
Before and After – photo by my mum

Yesterday (16th March), my amazing sister did the World’s Greatest Shave. She shaved off her hair to raise money and awareness. All the funds collected go to the Leukemia Foundation. This money is used for medical research towards treating blood cancer and helping the families of victims. To shave her hair took a lot of courage and I am very proud of her.

Why did she shave?

Today, 31 Australians will be given the devastating news that they have leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma or a related blood disorder. That’s more than 12,000 people in 2015. Although survival rates are improving, blood cancers like these are the¬†third biggest cause of cancer death in Australia.

To date she has raised a total of $2,485 and this is from friends, family and ordinary people’s donations and wanting to make a difference in somebody’s life. Her school has raised a whopping $37,241. The principal said that she will shave when they reach $50,000, they are almost 75% to their goal. They are the 7th highest school in Australia and the 2nd in NSW. A total of 20 girls and 2 teachers shaved and an additional 40 coloured their hair. Although she has already shaved, it is not too late to donate to this worthy cause, the donations close at the end of the financial year(30th June). It would be awesome if you could donate.

To donate to this worthy cause and help someone in need go to: my.leukaemiafoundation.org.au/sonalid

2 thoughts on “World’s Greatest Shave