Life on the goldfields as a child – Josie

To dear my beloved Grandmama,

Life has been such a struggle lately, I’m only 12 years old and I feel as stressed as a middle aged woman. Mama and Papa have been making me dig and cradle all day long, it’s the only way we can afford to survive here. Mama sad that once we had scraped up enough money to be able to come to the goldfields, we would spend no more then two weeks there and come back home with enough gold to be millionaires. It has now been a month and all we have found is a speck of gold, which is barely enough to buy a nice necklace Grandmama! I have gotten barely enough sleep the entire time we’ve been here, thats understandable through considering I sleep on a dirty old rag and all i can ever hear is the crashing and banging of miners furiously searching for gold. I’m not sure how much more of this I can take Grandmama, I have cried everyday we have been here when Mama and Papa aren’t around. I miss everyone at home so much and I feel like you’re the only person I can express my feelings to, I don’t want Mama and Papa to find out how i really feel because I know that will only make them feel terrible. I know that my parents are trying hard to make me happy but all I want is to be back at home in our small cottage, I don’t care if we’re rich or not I just want my old life back. I miss and love you so unbelievably much Grandmama and I really hope that Mama and Papa will decide to come back home soon because all I want to do is see you in person and give you a great big hug.

Lots of love, your favourite granddaughter Clarice xxx